A two-alarm fire caused damage to eight units at a south Denton apartment complex Tuesday.
The Denton Fire Department was called to the blaze at the Woodhill Apartments, located in the 1400 block of Teasley Lane, just before 3 p.m. Firefighters considered the fire under control at 3:18 p.m., said Kenneth Hedges, assistant fire chief.
“Total, one building was affected, but in the one building was eight units,” he said.
Flames shot from the roof of the building, according to witnesses who spoke with KXAS-TV (Channel 5).
The unit where it’s believed the fire originated is a total loss, Hedges said. The seven other units sustained water damage and are uninhabitable, he added. There’s an estimated $400,000 in damage, he said.
The American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the 10 residents displaced by the fire and work with them on relocating to temporary housing.
One firefighter sustained a minor injury, a hand laceration, and sought medical treatment.
No other injuries were reported.
Three cats that were in one of the units were unaccounted for at one point but have been found and are safe, Hedges said.
The preliminary investigation is completed, and firefighters have confirmed the fire ignited on a second-story balcony. The cause was a discarded cigarette, Hedges said.
— Britney Tabor